Saturday, May 23, 2015

Nanjing


Wow! I’m so behind on storytelling. I want to finish the story of Nanjing because it was an incredible and unexpected highlight of this trip.
We left Bill and Karen’s place in the morning after spending two nights with them. Karen came with us as we loaded my pack and Ann’s trailer into a car to go to the Nanjing International School. We connected with Juan, an administrator and teacher at NIS, via a teacher whom we met in Suzhou. When we arrived at the school, Juan greeted us at the gate and guided us through security. Juan is a very kind and generous man, originally from
Us with Karen in their home
Colombia, who hosted Ann and me not only at the school, but at his home as well. We started the day by meeting other administrators and dropping our packs off at the front office. The school immediately felt like a different world than the one we’ve been immersed in for months. Bright-eyed, hospitable, people walked the halls with smiles on their faces. The atmosphere was comfortable, clean, open-minded, and cheerful. It was a breath of fresh air just to be there. Juan gave us a thorough tour of the establishment. The school is unique in the way that it is a non-profit private school filled with teachers and students from all over the world. The Chinese government does not allow Chinese students to attend international schools, so the only Chinese students who attend have passports from elsewhere. Since the
The Annimal and Bill
tuition goes back to the school and everyone collaborates to make decisions, the school is equipped with everything the students need to learn effectively and efficiently. They have a swimming pool, a theater, an art studio, a work shop, dozens of bright and cheery multi-media classrooms, a cafeteria that serves delicious food (not just Chinese food, thank goodness), a coffee shop, a gymnasium, a soccer field, and many play structures. They are even starting up a special education program, responding to a need that hasn’t been filled yet in the community.
Contrary to what you may be thinking, we weren’t just there to sip iced coffee and tour this amazing place. We were there to spread our story. The first classroom we spoke to was full of high school students who were getting ready to go out into the world. They listened intently as we spoke, played videos, and answered questions. I love working with students this age
giving a speech to primary students at NIS
because they are so dang bright and optimistic. They are untainted by negative people of the world who dare to utter the words ‘you can’t’. We spoke to the high school students, then to the primary students, then to one more class of mixed ages. I also LOVE talking to little kids. They are so much dang fun. When talking to children, you get to use imagination and play with words and ask silly questions and speak in a way that would make most adults think you’re crazy. With children, I can be the child that I am with no reservations. The kids were amazed at the story of our walk. They asked intelligent questions and we gave them time to talk amongst themselves about what it might be like not to have your favorite food for five months (they were appalled at this idea, as am I). When we finished the talk, some of the fourth graders came up to take pictures with us. I was sitting on the stage and they all crowded around me like little 
barnacles. It was like a big hug- I can’t think of a happier moment from the past few months. Visiting NIS was great for two reasons.
1) They gave us a card that allowed us unlimited food and coffee. I was BUZZING after my second grande iced coffee. My lunch was a feast of foods I love but haven’t had in months: muesli, fresh cut fruit, a salad bar, grape juice, and chocolate cake. Kids came to sit with us in the cafeteria and they talked about everything from their pets to the family vacations while I straight up CHOWED on that feast. Yummmmmm.
2)Personally, I believe that there is no greater cause in the world than encouraging and inspiring young people. I had a Skype chat with my Berkeley advisor a few weeks ago; he asked me what demographic I might like to work with this fall during my internship. I mentioned that I haven’t done much work in schools or with suicide prevention, so I might like to try either of those. But any placement is fine. Any demographic can teach me something and vice versa. I am going into social work with a broad mind because I know that it is never too late for people to turn their lives around. There is no story too sad or obstacle too big to solve if someone has the will to do so. The words “I can’t” are the only end-all. But if we can encourage
Juan and his family
people when they’re young…imagine the possibilities! Imagine the stories we can help create. Someone asked me what motivates my heart to give, and my childhood has a lot to do with it. The Corkster (my mom) has been teaching special education since I can remember, so I grew up in her classroom as a witness to the love and compassion that happened there. Her students were my peers and I saw things in them that I loved. 
I admire the same characteristics in many people with disabilites that I do in children; character, strength, humility, pride, perserverence and HILARITY. Later in life it is absolutely possible to cultivate a giving spirit through choices and actions, and it is such an important concept to pass onto the children of this world so that they can have a head start. We’re on this earth to help each other. Kids understand this concept in a way that is so pure and beautiful. That childish wonder part of me has been somewhat dormant on this trip, and I struggle with that. It felt so good to be able to express that part of me freely for a day with the kiddos.
We stayed at Juan’s house that night with his wonderful family. His wife, Kath, who is from England, is also a teacher at the school. Both of his children are students there and his son is graduating this year. It felt so good to be in a home for a night. Their family reminded me so much of my own. We had dinner at a wonderful Indian restaurant and I watched the Discovery Channel with Juan and Kath in their living room before heading to bed. It was so hard to leave the next morning. As we walked out of Nanjing, I focused on the fact that this wonderful experience was a glimpse of what I have to look forward to when we finish: comfort, laughter, and family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment