Sunday, May 10, 2015

Hell and Hospitality


It was a morning just like any other. The alarm rang on my phone at 6:45 AM. I turned it off, rolled over, and went back to sleep. Five minutes later, I reached for my computer, eyes still closed, and turned on a Lady Gaga song to motivate me out of bed. Annimal was already awake, sitting upright in her bed, entranced by her phone. I opened my eyes, read a few emails I had received overnight, and finally got up to get ready for a long day of walking. We were scheduled to be in Nanjing that evening, meaning we had 25 kilometers to cover before sundown. We packed our things and drank coffee as Lady Gaga music videos played in the background. The last item to go into my bag was my computer, but I paused to check my Facebook and say hello to the world before departing. I wasn’t prepared for what I saw. As I scrolled through my newsfeed, I noticed that a few people had shared a story from my hometown’s news site. 7 Farmington Schools elementary students injured in bus crash” was the title. The subtitle disclosed that the crash had taken place in Red Valley, Arizona.
That’s weird.” I thought. “My mom also went on a field trip to Arizona today.”
Holy shit.
I read on.
“33 students and two adults were on the bus that turned over, according to Navajo police….A second bus, which did not roll over, took more students to the San Juan Regional Medical Center as a precaution. The second bus did not appear to be involved in the crash.”
Which bus was she on? WHICH FUCKING BUS WAS MY MOM ON?!
I searched through my backpack for my American cell phone and impatiently waited for it to connect to wifi. My heart was beating out of my chest as I tried to calm it with rationale.
She’s probably fine. It’s 50/50. She could have been on the other bus. She was probably on the other bus.
Minutes felt like hours as I waited for my phone to connect to wifi so that I could make the call to America to hear that my mom was fine.
Finally, the call went through. My dad answered.
“Hello?”
“Hey! Dad, what’s happening?”


“Who is this?” He sounded flustered.
“Dad, it’s Darrah. What’s going on? Is Mom ok?”
“Well, your mom was in an accident. Their bus rolled over. We’ve just been to Shiprock hospital, but they sent us to Farmington. We’re heading there now. The kids are fine.” he said. Hot, heavy tears started rolling down my face. My heart broke into pieces and a loud sob came from deep in my stomach. Ann, unaware of what was happening, put her hand on my shoulder.
“Is she ok?” I asked, hopeful and terrified of the answer.
“She’s ok. Her right ear was cut off and she’s sore and bruised, but she’s okay. We’re going to Farmington to see a plastic surgeon about her ear.”
In that moment, I felt life full-on. Emotions rushed through me. I was so relieved that my mom was alive. I was so angry that this happened. I was so glad that the children were ok. I was so sad that my precious mother was injured. I said goodbye and spent the next few hours talking to people in America over Facebook. Kelly who lives next door to my parents offered to feed Kai, our dog. Emma in Fort Collins offered to try to find my brother, who wasn’t answering his phone. Lots of people offered help and condolences. After business on the home front was taken care of, I put my computer in my bag and we started walking. I knew that I couldn’t stop the flow of tears down my face, but I could start walking. We walked and I cried all morning until I heard the news that my mom’s surgery had gone ok and she was spending the night in the hospital. I finally got ahold of my brother and he told me to be strong. The worst was over and all was well. Thank goodness.
That evening we made it to Nanjing. We checked out the first hotel, a grimy place with the bathroom enclosed by glass walls. No thank you. We walked to three more hotels that refused to take a foreigner. After the fourth hotel we were exhausted and it was late. We called Bill and Karen, our Nanjing friends, to rescue us. We weren’t planning on visiting them for a few days, but these were desperate times. They took us out to dinner and set us up in their guest room. I slept for a few hours, then got up to Skype my mom, who was supposed to be released from the hospital that afternoon (our morningtime). She looked like hell. Her face was swollen, eyes and jaw cut and bruised. Her head and ear were wrapped in guaze like a civil war patient. Despite this, she tried to appear chipper. Maybe she was trying to make me feel better. Maybe it was the morphine. We talked and I cried……like a baby. I was so relieved to see that she was alive, and so heartbroken to see her that way.
As I lied curled up on the couch in the fetal position, Bill went off to work and
Ann and Karen went to visit the Zhongshan memorial in the city. I was too exhausted to leave the house. Emotional pain is far more exhausting than physical pain. I spent the day sleeping, talking to people back home, and watching movies. That night we went out to dinner with Bill and Karen. I am so thankful for them. They offered the kindest, most wonderful hospitality during the time I needed it most. I cannot thank them enough.
There are lots of lessons that come from a scare like this one. Love each other every day. Tell your people how much you love them. Don’t worry about the petty shit. Life is short; carpe diem; seize the carp.
This trip is as much about empowerment as it is about love. Even though I feel a million miles away from home this week, I’d like to think that this experience has brought my family closer. Inspired by my mother’s brush with death, I encourage you all to spread some love today. Call someone and say “I love you”. Why are you still reading? Do it now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment