Monday, February 16, 2015

There's No Place Like.....Dairy Queen


Day11
On day 11 we got going late. This may or may not have been my fault. Getting up early is not my thing. While we were having breakfast we heard loud drumming music coming up the street. It was a group of dragon dancers and their drummers. Children ran to watch and I ran with them. Annimal thought it was silly for me to get so excited about watching the dancers pass. But I thought they were amazing. They must have been practicing for the Chinese New Year festivities, which begin on the 18th of this month. We had a rough morning. My body had aches and pains for the first time on our trip. I was exhausted and all I wanted was an ice cream cone which, of course, was nowhere to be found. The positive side of the day was that we were walking through beautiful green country at the base of a mountain range. At one point we both stopped and keeled over in misery. We were sore and exhausted. But I had an idea. We needed a dance. I set up the camera and taught Annimal a few basic hip-hop steps. I blasted a Macklemore song through my headphones and we did a ‘daily dance’ on the side of the road. Afterward, we watched the video and laughed. Ann claims that teaching her these steps is ‘like teaching a piece of wood how to dance.’  We stopped for a small lunch with a biker who had seen us on the road. We ordered soup and a beer, which he paid for before he left after a good conversation about our journey. On account
of me being exhausted (and a big baby) we called it a day and checked into a hotel. I slept all afternoon and had bad dreams interrupted by the firecrackers that children have been setting off in the streets all week in anticipation of the new year. We had a poor man’s dinner of noodle soup in our room because we were too tired to go out. We talked to our families and went to bed early. My favorite thing about Day 9 was our room. It wasn’t a spectacular room by any means (though, it had not rats, which I REALLY appreciated). See, I had been quite homesick for a few days and I was deeply missing home. As I was listening to my National Public Radio podcast that afternoon, I heard an interview of a man who plays Saul, a lawyer, on the show Breaking Bad. The show is a wildly popular drama about a high school chemistry teacher who turns to making meth when he finds himself in desperate need of cash. It takes place in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and it seems to be the only reason anyone understands where I'm from. The man being interviewed was talking about the filming location and how it was sometimes so awful to be in Albuquerque, enduring sandstorms, trashy people, and cold weather. Even though he was complaining about my home state, I was filled with nostalgia of home. That night when we checked into our hotel, we ended up in room 505- our room number for the night and the area code of New Mexico- of home. Even though it was just for a night, it felt good to be back in the 505.
Day 12-
In the morning we had breakfast and met one of the volunteers whom had hosted us in Qingyuan and was joining us for the day. It was a cold and foggy morning. The road was a mountain pass that wound us through beautiful, hazy, soft peaks.  After a few hours we stopped to stretch and do a daily dance,
which our guest respectfully and bashfully opted out of. Just before noon we came up to a house inhabited by a very kind family. Ann talked to them, explaining our story and purpose. The matriarch of the family invited us for tea, then for lunch. As we drank tea, Ann talked with the adults and I found a friend. Actually, she found me. As I snacked on pistachios and walnuts, the woman’s two year old  and granddaughter inched closer and closer to me. Eventually, the little girl was right in front of me and we were sharing my snack. One piece for her, one piece for her cousin, one piece for me. Repeat. Before lunch, the woman’s son took us to the family’s orchard. The family owned many starfruit and banana trees, a pig farm, a fish farm, many foul, and a large vegetable garden. Her son guided us to the orchard and picked us fresh starfruit off of one of their trees. I took my first ever bite of star fruit and melted with happiness. It was freshly picked, organic, and absolutely delicious. We spent time walking through the orchard and watching the adorable piglets, then went back to the house for lunch. We ate rice from the family’s field, fish from their farm, and vegetables and herbs from their garden. It was delicious. After lunch I played with the kids for a while before we had to go. The little girl whom I shared my snack with wanted to come along. When her Grandma held her back, the girl cried and cried My heart broke into pieces as I said goodbye. I’d only known this dirty, ornery little girl for a few hours. I don’t even
know her name. Why was I so sad to leave her? Later that afternoon we arrived in Yinde and got hotel. Just before we arrived into town, I found fake money on the side of the road. As legend has it, burning this money as an offering to your ancestors will bring good luck. I pulled out my lighter, set the faux cash ablaze, and pleaded my ancestors for a double chocolate fudge Blizzard with Snickers and brownies added in.
‘And ask for safety in our travels’ Annimal added.
‘No’ I said, shutting down her ridiculous remark. ‘I mostly just want ice cream’.
Ann is so patient.
That night we said goodbye to our walking buddy, went out for a quick dinner and got some sleep. We were very tired.  
Km count- 178.3

No comments:

Post a Comment