Friday, June 19, 2015

The Great Finish

We are finished. What wonderful words to type. We woke up in a hotel about 10 kilometers from Tiananmen Square on Saturday, June 13th- our final day. At 8:30 a.m. we walked out of the hotel to meet 8 of the New Day volunteers who offered to join us for the finish. It was a lovely morning spent chatting with them as we walked. The group consisted of mostly
The New Day Beijing Interns
college students who are spending their summer as interns at New Day Beijing. For two and a half hours, I bombarded each of them with questions about their current dreams and goals, their hometowns and their families. It was so nice to have so much company. Talking to the students kept me calm and levelheaded on a day that I’ve been thinking about for almost a year now.
As we got closer to the square, the crowds became thicker and I started to get excited. Just outside of the square, my mom and Jerry emerged from the crowd. I walked toward my mom as quickly as my tired legs would let me, and gave her a long overdue hug so
Me and The Corkmeister
tight that I accidentally hurt her healing ear. Through tears, she told me how proud she is of me. If a 23-year-old woman who has just walked across China can’t hold her mommy and cry like a baby, who the hell can?
After our reunion, we continued into the square to meet volunteers from Ann’s charity who had come up from Zhongshan to meet us. We heard them before we saw them, running and rolling toward us with open arms, literally squealing with excitement. Soon enough they were on top of us, hugging us, thanking us, and celebrating. One woman stood up from her wheelchair and hugged me tightly, wailing in Chinese the whole time, her whole body vibrating with joy.  She was almost more excited to see me than my own mother was! For a full minute this woman hugged me, pushed me away to look at me, then kissed me
The Joyful woman
on the lips and repeated her process. Squirm as I might, I was overcome by her energy and I could not stop laughing while she had me in her arms.
After the photo shoot commenced, we had lunch with the volunteers. My laughter continued as I watched my mom try to master the art of chopsticks over lunch. After watching my mother curse her bowl of noodles for about five minutes, one of the staff members tapped Mom on the shoulder and handed her a fork.
The next day my mom and I went exploring and found some of the
best food I’ve had in months at a restaurant that served fresh juice and brunch. We wandered the city and talked for hours, catching up on lost time.

On our final day in Beijing, we visited The Great Wall. Laughing our way up the steep steps of The Great Wall was a beautiful experience to share with my mother. Beijing is a beautiful city that was fun to explore. But I was more than ready to get back and see the ones I love in my “China hometown” of Zhongshan.
the treacherous steps of The Great Wall


3 comments:

  1. I guess you must be tired by now of my singing your praises. I have been sharing your accomplishments with those of my American friends and former students from China. I can tell that they too were excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Mariam,from what I can read. It has been sad news and scam to everyone about Voodoo casters or so. But to me they are so real because one worked for me not quite long ago.i met this man on a blog his name is Dr Abalaka is a very powerful man.I traveled down to where his shrine his and we both did the ritual and sacrifice.he had no website yet but he promised to create one as costumers are requesting for it, and now i'm free from the powders of sickness.I don't know about you but Voodoo is real;love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,diabetic voodoo,hypertensive voodoo,high cholesterol voodoo,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need a child),Luck, Money Spells,he also cure any cancer and HIV,it's all he does. I used my money to purchase everything he used he never collected a dime from. He told me I can repay him anytime with anything from my heart. Now I don't know how to do that. If you can help or you need his help write him on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) and also his cell number: 760-935-3804 you can text him because he use to be very busy some times,i believe that your story will change for better,or if you have any question you can contact me here as mariambaurice@gmail.com best of luck.

    ReplyDelete