Thursday, April 30, 2015

Suzhou


Suzhou was amazing. Once we got into the city, we became a bit lost on our way to Pam’s (our host’s) house, so we stopped at the local Starbucks and waited for her to come find us. While we sipped iced coffee to cool off, we met a few fans. We had posted about our trip in the Suzhou Expats group on Facebook, and two young men recognized us. They asked us about our trip and took a picture with us. I immediately liked Suzhou. Not five minutes later, Alex, another faithful Facebook follower found us. Alex is a German transplant who calls Suzhou home after being there for 15 years. Months
ago, he promised us ice cream via Facebook. He made good on his promise. Alex showed up at Starbucks with a 5-gallon carton of strawberry ice cream that he had just purchased from Metro. We sat on the patio eating ice cream with chopsticks while we listened to Alex compliment our endurance and tell his own stories of past accomplishments. He is an outdoorsman, himself. Not long ago, he finished his first 100 km race in Hong Kong. He encouraged us to
keep going, reminding us that, at this point, it’s all mental. That’s the truth. It was so great to talk to him because he understands the strange frustrations we have faced on the road, as he’s experienced them, too. He empathized with my blog post on my frustration with the truck drivers honking their horns and I told him about the backlash I received, that I was too harsh.
“I think you didn’t use the eff word enough! I usually just throw my middle fingers in the air and scream at them! They’re so terrible!!!” he exclaimed. I like Alex. In the midst of our conversation, Pam showed up. We said farewell to Alex and followed Pamela back to the apartment where she lives with her husband, Ernie, and their foster daughter who is almost 2 years old and absolutely adorable. It was the most beautiful apartment we’ve seen on
this trip. I couldn’t help but think back to the hostel where the rats ate my apple during week 1 and laugh at the difference. Staying with them was a gift, not just because our bed had a pillow top mattress pad (most Chinese beds are about as soft as plywood) but also because they are a joy of a family to be around. They moved to China from Fort Collins, Colorado. I spent a week in Fort Collins with my brother before leaving for China, so we had a lot to talk about.
“Did yall ever go to William Oliver’s? We had some great nights there. What about The Blind Pig? I’ve been craving a real Bloody Mary with Horsetooth hot sauce!” After settling in, we went out with Pam to meet Eleanor for dinner. Eleanor is another Facebook follower who generously offered to supply us with granola bars and pollution masks. She invited us out to the venue where her husband and his band mate were playing that night- The Bookworm. We had a lovely evening there. Eleanor’s husband even invited us up on stage to talk about The Walk during a set break. I was nervous to speak to the bar full of foreigners. We were completely unprepared, but managed to get the point across. Most of the people were extremely kind and supportive of our project. It was a beautiful evening.
We had a wonderful time with Pam and her family. Their house was chock-full of items I haven’t seen since I left America almost a year ago: Smucker’s jelly, Old El Paso salsa, Colorado Coffee, and yummy cheese. We took a rest day to check out the old part of the city, where the famous gardens are.
The gardens were beautiful and I drew some money out of my personal account to buy two QiPaos (Chinese style dresses) from a local shop. That night we had a happy hour with Pam and Ernie on their beautiful balcony. It felt so good to be in the company of like-minded Americans. There’s something about spending time with people of similar roots that just feels so good; especially in a place so very far from anything that resembles a comfort zone. Later that evening, we met up with two of Pam and Ernie’s friends at a Mexican restaurant where they offered to treat us to dinner. Yes, I said A MEXICAN RESTAURANT. I was so excited. Their friends were also from Colorado- from Leadville. I was so excited to be around Americans at a Mexican restaurant that the flow of margaritas carried me away. It was a fantastic night followed by a terrible morning. It was my second time walking with a hangover and my second time hating myself for it. Someday I’ll be smarter. Just....just not today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment