Sunday, March 15, 2015

Watch Your Step


I have two EXTREMELY exciting announcements to make.
1)  THE CORKSTER IS COMING TO BEIJING! That’s right. The woman, the myth, the legend, Corkie Blackwater herself is meeting us in Beijing for the finale of The Walk! She bought her plane ticket this week. I think I may have guilted her into this by accident. I was so emotional about leaving Zhongshan in February, and after drinking too much whiskey with Annimal’s father on the first night of our journey, I called my parents in tears (don’t mix Baijiu and emotions) to tell them how amazing the day was and how sad I was that they had missed it. My parents know how important this walk is, and they scraped up the cash for Cork’s plane ticket. I am so motivated by this and BEYOND excited to celebrate this huge accomplishment with my mom. She’ll also come back to Zhongshan to celebrate my birthday with me before heading home to the US of A. (PS- if anyone in Kaiyin has a room that we can rent for a few days, let me know) Look out, China! Hurricane Corkie is comin’ in hot.



2)  I GOT ACCEPTED TO UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY!!!!!!!  I am so relieved. Last year I spent hundreds of hours applying to grad school: studying for the GRE, traveling to Hong Kong to take the Graduate Record Exam, writing essays, sending transcripts, and filling out applications. After a few days without internet, I finally received the email today that congratulated me on my acceptance into the Social Welfare Masters Degree program at the University of California, Berkeley. If I decide to go and figure out a way to fund it, I’ll start my masters degree this
fall.
Now onto more important matters- sunshine. We saw the sun for the first time in over a week! A few days ago it was so warm that we could walk in short sleeves without a jacket. We had a day and a half without rain. We were in heaven. Then the rain started up again. Thankfully, the weather is slightly warmer than last week, meaning we are wet but not freezing. I’ll take it.
Yesterday was an interesting day. After walking 15 kilometers we wanted to be done for the day. It was a bad day- wet and chilly. I was struggling because my zombie toe still hasn’t healed completely and I’m a little bit sick. I think it may be allergies. I’m allergic to China. Annimal was struggling because she received the news that her mother-in law, Anne Grey, passed away yesterday. Ann stopped walking and turned back to me with tears running down her cheeks. We stopped for a moment of silence on the side of the highway. Trucks whizzed by us as we embraced and said a prayer for the late Anne Grey. What I’m about to say sounds made up, but I swear to you it’s true. As soon as we finished our moment of silence for Anne Grey, the rain clouds parted and we were immersed in sunshine. It was the only five minutes of sunshine we saw that day. It was beautiful. Thanks, Anne Grey.

Even though we wanted to be finished after walking 15 kilometers, it wasn’t in the cards for us. Immediately after talking about catching a ride, we came upon a traffic jam. It was the longest traffic jam we’ve seen, spanning over 5 kilometers in each direction. We weaved in-between semi trucks and cars to avoid puddles, mud, and piles of rubbish. For 10 kilometers we walked to avoid heaps of trash, orange peels, sunflower seeds, cigarette butts, and even human feces. The truck drivers had obviously been stuck there for a long time because they all had accumulated these piles on the asphalt below their cab windows. It was disgusting. When we finally saw the hold- up we couldn’t help but stop to take pictures. Two trucks had collided, hitting their corners head-on. The contents of one truck had flown everywhere, littering the road with crushed and dented pots and pans. What a mess. Since traffic was at a standstill and catching a ride was impossible, we ended up walking almost three more hours until we found accommodation- the upstairs bedroom of a family’s restaurant. The price was 40 RMB (7
USD) if we didn’t use the heater and 60 RMB (10 USD) if we did. We decided to spare the extra expense for some heat. There was no internet, the heater barely worked, the highway noise was almost unbearable, and we had to walk outside through the rain to get to the bathroom. But it was a dry place to sleep for the night and that’s all we could ask for…..literally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment